Dash the Corgi

Saturday, September 02, 2006

I Should Have Named Him "Herb"


"You gonna use all that?"
Dropshots.com

I put wire edging around my herb garden for the first time this year. Why? Not for the rabbits, but to keep out a certain Corgi.

Dash loves the smell and taste of fresh herbs. Sometimes I wonder if he got some special mojo from his chef-breeder. He can get just enough of his nose through the edging to get a good whiff of basil, thyme, parsley, oregano or rosemary. When the basil began to grow through the fence, he would cruise by and grab a mouthful. He knows how to strip the tiny thyme leaves by running his teeth down the stem. He reaches around the fuzzy comfrey to snatch leaves of stevia. I thought I would have to move the chives when I saw how often he stopped to inhale their oniony aroma (alliums are not healthy for dogs), but he never samples them.

Under the watchful eye of this little Corgi, I cut several armloads of basil to make pesto. He followed me into the kitchen and watched every move I made. Any basil leaves that fell were caught before they hit the floor. I handed him a stem full of pungent green leaves, and he tossed it in the air and caught it, chased it across the floor and pounced on it. It was a grand game.

We may have discovered "dognip".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home